Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Pemba Sunrise

If there is silence…be quiet and listen…

It seems that more and more these days I find myself drifting in and out of sleep to the familiar silence of the Pemba sunrise. I did not know I could see such beauty until I was awoken on a July morning at 5:42am. I groggily turned my head to see an orange orb of light penetrating my makeshift curtains made of a polka dot sheet. I flew out of bed and ran to my window and gazed through only to see the sun looking at me!!

I often ponder why I come to Pemba…What is it about this place that draws me? Can it be the people? Or maybe is it the breathtaking views? Or maybe it is the work? All of the options are viable and valid, but it finally again occurred to me…the “why” of my existence. Let Him kiss me with the kisses of His lips for His love truly is better than wine. Draw me after You where I can gaze upon Your beauty, inquiring in Your Holy temple [Song of Songs and Psalms]. Pemba is the one place (so far in my existence) where I have been awoken to see the sun, and the Son, and where as I gaze upon His beauty, the darkness in me flees and the shadows fade away. Pemba has been a place where the deep parts of my heart where there is brokenness or hurts of old are exposed by the light of the Son and a new day dawns.

I’ve been watching the sunrises since that day and I’ve noticed something in this season that is different than any other season before. In the silence of the morning, I wrap my blanket around me to escape the chill of the day’s early winter weather and I look to the horizon that has been and will always be steady. These days I’ve noticed a low-lying cloud cover just at the horizon. During summer months, the sun is evident peaking over that distant line as early as 5:00am, but with this cloud coverage, the brightness of the sun does not kiss the sea until much later. In fact, it seems there is a battle in the sky for the sun to breakthrough its first light. I’ve watched the sun climb up the sky into the mass of gray cumulus clouds. At times it appears as if the clouds follow the sun up the sky. Maybe there’s a race between the two, or a struggle to overcome, and little by little the bright orange glow creeps higher up and to the top of the clouds crowning them, even in their darkness, in glory…

And suddenly…Light bursts forth and the darkness dissipates. The new day has dawned. These days with me, it seems there is a new day and it is here, but the night does not want to let go. The clouds are upon the horizon line, but in time, the sun will shine. I am watching from my window eagerly waiting for the sun to kiss my face and the fullness of the day to come. I may not know what each day will bring, but as sure as the sun rises and I listen to the silence of the morning song, I know that darkness will flee, shadows shall fade, and all that remains will be the sun shining, kissing my face.

With just under two weeks before departure, I will enjoy each Pemba sunrise—there really is no other sight quite as breathtaking as the glorious sun [and SON]—and the awakening of my heart to dreaming dreams of this new day.

Thank you all for joining me on this adventure. I look forward to many sunsets on the west coast soon…

Love,

Desi

No comments:

Post a Comment